This DIY project takes time and for me patience, but the results are really pretty!
I borrowed this project from the blog Momtastic. I changed a few of her steps but check out her pictures, they are better than mine!
- Mason jars (as many as your heart desires) – I found mine in my mom’s cellar!
- Modge Podge in Gloss – I bought the 4 fl oz for 9 large Mason jars and just had enough. You can purchase Modge Podge at Michaels for $5-$7.
- Food colouring – I bought mine at Bulk Barn, a pack of four for $3
- Bowls to mix the food colouring and water (washes out easily)
- Preheat oven to 175C (not very hot I know!)
- Mix food colouring with water in small bowls. I recommend using 1 tbsp of food colouring and 1 tsp of water. You do not want the food colouring too watered down!
- Add 1 tbsp of modge podge to the bottom of your mason jar
- Add the entire food colouring mixture from one of your bowls to the jar. Mix dye and modge podge together really well, looking at the bottom of the jar to make sure it has all been mixed (you’ll see it on the bottom at the end if you don’t!)
- Twist the jar sideways to evenly coat the entire inside of the jar. Do this over another bowl to catch any runoff
- Let jar dry upside down on the newspaper for 30 mins
- Repeat steps 2-6 for each mason jar
- After they have dried for 30 mins, line a baking sheet with wax paper and place jars on top, still upside down.
- Bake for 10 mins, flip the jars and bake for another 20 mins.
- When they are done, they should not be streaky, but if they are, just place them back in the oven for a bit longer!
I filled mine with water and placed a floating candle in each 🙂 What will you do with yours?